Anyone for a good "shmeissing"


I'm a long time fan of James Cracknell. Watching him and his team win the Olympic Gold reduced me to floods of tears. I also recently enjoyed watching "On Thin Ice" which was about his team racing to the South Pole. Besides seeing him in all his resplendent glory doing what bears usually do in the woods - on ice, I particularly liked the fact that he allowed himself to be portrayed in a less than flattering light. Even though he comes across as arrogant, stubborn and dangerously driven it gives an insight into the personality traits an olympian medallist probably has to have.

Anyway......I digress.......... he writes a column for the The Daily Telegraph and this week he wrote about a massage technique which he tried out called "shmeissing". This is a yiddish word for "beating" ..... I think you can work out the rest.

Read the article in full HERE

It's a real shame that James doesn't actually say how he felt after the treatment.

P.S I also found this article where the writer says the following:

"I am not a man lightly given to admitting to good health, yet so absolute are the relaxing, energising and stressbusting qualities of the shmeiss that even I emerge from a session with Big Lee feeling gleamingly clean (you wouldn't believe the gunk that emerges from a human back) and bereft of medical complaint".

1 comments:

  1. Interesting As I am the Shmeisser.I found The "Olympian" to be full of himself. Although I regularly worked for free in the interests of Good publicity I rarely found anyone as mean minded as Mr Cracknal, Possibly because I objected to him walking off absent-mindedly with my own personal body wrap And recieved it back. As a further gesture I had Shmeissed Mr Pope the very friendly superb photographer The Telegraph sent along, Subsequently I asked Mr Pope for a selection of the large ammount of materiel . Unfortunately I was told that some body Insert obvious name Had said no. As for the health advantages ,In my opinion nothing like it. I retired and built my own private steam bath and regularly work on my reciprocating wife who over the years has been a willing adept student and partner. In the MCHammer time tradition "You cant beat this"

    ReplyDelete